Do you hate it, too?
You’re working in a grid with many columns, you scroll to the right to find the column you want to filter. You enter the filter, hit return and the grid jumps back to the first column?
Here is why: The focus is still on the first column. After applying the filter, this column is therefore brought back into your view.
This also leads to the solution: Before filtering, click into the field of interest (maybe the column you want to filter). Now, the grid won’t jump any more to a position you don’t care about.
If you work in a system for some time you learn tricks that make it easier to use that system. Usually, you don’t even realize that you use them until you watch a new user and ask „But why don’t you …“.
So I thought I’d start a collection of some of those tiny tricks I use in AX very often. I will add to the list as I go along in my projects and notice something that might help new users.
Sort Descending in Context Menu
Day in date control
Calculator in number control
Navigate with Tab, Down Cursor or Ctrl-PgDown
Stop the jumping grid
If you navigate within a form and use the tab key, you will realize that the current value in the control is preselected. You can then directly type in the value you want to enter because the old value is automatically overwritten.
In some cases, I navigate with the mouse to „my“ control, tab out of it to the next control and tab back (hold shift), just so that I don’t have to select the text with my mouse. Weiterlesen
You can use any editable number control in AX as a calculator.
Say you’re just receiving stock, and it’s 3 packages with 95 items each, but 17 are already missing …
Try it out. You might find it useful from time to time.
In date controls, just enter the day and it will automatically expand to that day in the current month:
If you want today’s date, but don’t remember that it’s the thirteenth, just type d, and it’ll expand.
I often see people clicking twice on a column’s header because they want the list to be sorted in descending ordet. Clicking twice is fine if sorting doesn’t take longer than you like. If it does: Open the context menu on the column (not the Header, but in a value field).
I’m currently working on Multi Site Activation in a WMS II environment on AX2009, with the latest KR. Looks like there are some bugs – or at least, not all „real-life“ scenarios are covered in a useful way. Let me make quick notes on them, maybe it’ll help you, too: Weiterlesen
Here’s what I tell AX colleagues about EMEA Convergence 2015 or better: What I tell them about „AX7“ – I leave out the happy hour 😉
- The new HTML5 client has a very clean, modern look. All the colorful action pane icons that were new in (AX2009 and) AX2012 are gone again.
- We see a “responsive design”: When you resize the window (manually, or use it on a device with a different scale), the control are reorganized nicely.
- All in all, the rendering / building of the forms seems to be a lot “calmer” than before. No flickering, no superfluous repaints.
- Dynalink / “follow-me” functionality is still available: From a list of records (former list page), you can still open a second (third etc.) related form whose content follows the record selection on the main list.
- Dialogs that open from a form, will “slide in” from the right side and cover a bit of the main form: This would be, f.ex. the dimension / offset dimension form on a general ledger journal, the dialog for posting a journal etc.
- One AX HTML client session can only have one main window! If you need, for example, the list of relevant purchase orders, the planned purchase orders and the invent table and stock on hand, you’ll open three AX sessions. Important to note: Microsoft is going to limit the number of sessions a user can open!
Someone asked me today what the DAT Company in AX2012 is needed for.
If you Google, you’ll read that it contains „Setup data“, but I think that’s not really true. What could that Setup data be?
- Company dependant functional setup, like CustGroup, SalesParameters, is stored in that specific company, so that can’t be it.
- Company independant setup, like SystemParameters, NumberSequenceTable, EcoResAttributeType, is stored without a „dataAreaId“ column, so that cannot be it.
No, I think this has to be phrased differently: Weiterlesen